Monday, May 17, 2010

be that.

Here is something that I like about myself: my lack of age issues. I'm getting older, and that's just fine. I think when people get all wonky about having birthdays, it's really about something else -- about what they've done or haven't done with their lives, or the ways in which they're dissatisfied with who they've become. That has nothing to do with age. Plus, it's totally fixable. You can set new goals, accomplish cool things, have new adventures, and become a better person at any age--if you choose to. And I choose to.

Choosing to has actually gotten easier, I think because the more I choose to, the more I learn how capable I am. And the more capable I become, the more I want to choose to. It's a pretty cool cycle that feeds itself once you set it in motion. Last year I learned that I'm capable of following a training schedule and running 12.4 miles (Dam to Dam). It made me realize I'm capable of following a training schedule and running 26 miles, so this year I'm going to train for my first marathon.

It doesn't have to be big stuff. Even relatively small stuff can have big impact. One of my proudest accomplishments of 35 was figuring out a lot of my food triggers (for my messed up guts) and then having the gumption to get rid of them (more or less). In the process of doing so, I developed a lot more respect and reverence for my body (which I understand sounds weird and slightly masturbatory, which I really don't mean).

Some accomplishments are much more... figurative. Watery? Harder to explain, for sure. One of the coolest things my mom has ever said to me is, "You're becoming more like yourself every day." It was several months ago, and I'd taken her with me to Woodward to Prairieland Herbs and Picket Fence Creamery. We drove in the country between two farms, and I told her how much it appealed to me, and I how I wanted to leave town and just live on open land and grow things and be quiet.

Maybe that isn't an obvious compliment, but I do think it's a significant accomplishment to figure out who you are at your purest level and then just go ahead and be that, unflinchingly, even if it isn't sophisticated or extraordinary or especially unique. Even if it doesn't mesh with the fantasy of yourself you'd created when you were 16. I know I do that much better and more consistently at the age of 36 than I did at the age of 26. I'm sure that at 46 I'll be even more like myself. And that's exciting, because I'm pretty okay.


2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, P. From one messy-gut to another, I'd be interested in more "food trigger" info if you're willing to share- I learned this weekend that mass quantities of Thai chili garlic paste and I don't get along well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I am glad to share!

    Here are some:

    chocolate (very sad)
    potato chips
    bread of any kind
    baked goods of any kind (devastating)
    lentil beans (although these are supposed to be good for people with digestive problems...but not for me)
    nuts of any kind
    juicy onions (but i can do green onions and leeks)
    ice cream is the kiss of death
    over-eating, in general, is the kiss of death
    carbonated beverages of any kind = big bad news
    milk
    too much cheese (i can do a little feta or goat cheese, but not much else)
    curry (or cumin, or both. haven't quite figured which is the culprit)
    spicy foods, in general
    crackers
    too many beans

    BUT, my guts LOVE:
    avocadoes
    all fruits
    beets
    mushrooms
    carrots

    and my guts really don't mind:

    coffee
    red wine
    pasta (just tossed with oil & vegetables and basil)
    fresh veggies
    soy milk

    I'm sorry your guts are misbehaving, Margy. I know it sucks.

    ReplyDelete