Thursday, May 27, 2010

baubles

I had lots to say, then I didn't say it, and now it's gone. So I'll say something else.

For my birthday, Chris took four of my songs we recorded in our old basement several years ago, to his friend's recording studio and had them mixed onto a CD. One of the coolest gifts ever, for sure, but I'm having a hard time listening to them. Chris presented them to me last night. Two are okay, because they're full of harmonies, and I'm a thousand times more comfortable with harmonies. The other two...not so much.

When I listen to them, I hear every flaw in my voice--sinusy. Nasal-y. I think about how corny the lyrics are. I hear my guitar baubles and cringe. Oy oy oy. I want to listen to myself/observe myself as a stranger. But I can't. Not really. It's silly. I don't really know how anyone gets over that.

Blah. This blog entry is boring and dumb and I want to delete but I won't. Sometimes I'm boring and dumb. So be it.

I also do not feel like crafting a conclusion. So I'm just going to stop writing. Now.

1 comment:

  1. I do this all of the time, p. Think about something I'd like to ponder in the written format. But by the time I get the chance to write, it's gone. The strangest things often pop out instead.

    I can't listen to myself sing without cringing, except one recording I did in L.A. I don't know what microphone he used, or what he did, but I only cringe a tiny bit listening to that one. So what I'm saying is, you just need to record more stuff, that's all. :)

    ReplyDelete