Monday, August 2, 2010

Swim: a song blog

I really like songs that tell stories -- too-many-words songs. So, with my last beautiful day of staycation, I tried to write one. I found it... hard. And for someone with normally very fine rhythm, kind of... annoying. But I like it, in a not classically good sort of way.

Here is the song:

(And if that doesn't work: Here is the song...





And here are the words:

You know, when I was six I was
sucked in by the ocean
on vacation to the beach and the waves pulled me
under, pulled me under
and sideways.
And I still remember toes
in seaweed, kicking for sand,
searching for land,
But the tide flipped me on my side, and I
took in water
so much water 'til I
couldn't breathe
I couldn't breathe.
Ocean in my ears, I heard what
whales hear
what squid hear
what seals hear
when they're underwater.

So, my uncle pulled me to shore
wrestled me through choppy waves,
and I cried into the castle
my sisters built.
He's gone now, that uncle
Taken too soon, too young
No warning, and
isn't that the way with the tide,
it takes and it gives and
you never know
which or what or when, so you
just swim
and swim
'til you're tired.
Yeah, you never know
which or what or when, so you
just swim
and swim
'til you're tired.

Every summer we went to Minnesota, to
the lake to my grandparents' river, and
we floated downstream in rafts with
turtles and fish
and snakes.
They had a canoe, too, but
between me and you,
I hate canoeing.
There, I've said it.
I really frickin' hate canoeing.
Flimsy, stupid, unstable vessel
wobbling like a drunk on water
just me and a paddle
and a partner, and we tip
side to side, and
spill into the water,
Athough, I'm a good swimmer
a strong swimmer, I still
hate it.

It's just, I want to know when
I'd rather jump than be pushed.
Do you know what I mean?
Boats, they dump you into water &
conspire with the river who drags you
downstream, upstream, sidestream, wherever
she wants. So I muscle through
and scream, "This is not my choice!"
Not my choice.
Maybe I'm too high strung
Never been too good at floating, so I
swim
and I swim
'til I'm tired.
Yeah, maybe I'm too high strung
Not too good at floating, so I
swim
and I swim
and I swim
'til I'm tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment