Wednesday, April 28, 2010

urban tumbleweed

I watched four young teenage boys skateboard in Nollen Plaza today. One brought a video camera to record all of their sweet moves. Too bad they didn't have any. But I rooted for them. I wanted them to land a jump (small hop) without falling down. But they didn't.

I noticed the tulips along Locust were leaning toward the street. "Toward the street" is also "away from the buildings." They are stretching forward for light or leaning back in unison. Should they sprout legs or wheels, they will crush under a tire for their greed for sun.

The plaza was littered with tumbleweed. I don't know where this brown fringey stuff comes from, but it tangles in oblong blobs and rolls around with the breeze. At first I thought there had been a large rodent massacre. Then I thought a bunch of birds nests had fallen out of the trees. It looked like a tent city for birds. It was neither -- just urban tumbleweed. I wanted to touch it, but I was too comfortable on my bench.

I saw a woman dancing; at least, I thought she was dancing. She was actually just looking for a trashcan while trying to keep her hair out of her face. She looked silly, and it made me like her.


No comments:

Post a Comment