Wednesday, April 21, 2010

restructuring.

Today's theme: Restructuring.

Dear Crazy Lady:

As a former mental health professional, I will now think of you as a client. Diagnosis(es): Narcissistic Personality Disorder for sure, possibly complicated by Borderline Personality Disorder. Either way, your personality is in disorder, and that has likely caused a bigger headache for you than you have caused for me.

(But please stop asking people at the gym where I work, because that's psycho and creepy.)

Gratitude:

I will be grateful for crazy ladies and for opportunities to identify and work on my most disagreeable character flaws. Even though it sucks ass and makes me tired.

Also, gratitude for the other more charmingly looney man at the gym who runs around leaping into the air. I know it's creative exercise for you, but for me it's just joy. Every time you leap into the air, I say "Whoopee!" in my head, and it makes me smile.

Perspective:

Over lunch, I rode the bus with a homeless woman, and I watched her watch the streets outside the bus windows. I tried to notice what she noticed. We drove past the swanky shops in the East Village, and we drove past men in suits unlocking BMWs, and people in shorts running on their lunch breaks... and I wondered what they looked like to her. I imagined she and I lived in very different worlds and nothing looked the same.

It seems like an important thing to do -- to wonder what the world looks like to other people.

(I know this post is disjointed. I'm okay with that today.)

No comments:

Post a Comment