Tuesday, September 21, 2010

sorry, body.

I had plans to run the Des Moines marathon on October 17, 2010. My body has made an alternate plan -- my left ankle, specifically (although my knees conspired). Stress fracture. Ankle. Treatment = Stop running.

I know enough not to say a bunch of dumb, irrational crap like: Three months of blood, sweat, and tears, DOWN THE DRAIN! That's just ridiculous. I've gotten all kinds of cool stuff from the process. Plenty of pay-off. Mostly: I'm in good shape; and I've discovered some grit and fortitude I didn't know I had. That's reassuring. I suppose I could channel it toward a different project, something that doesn't crush my bones.

I guess the thing that makes me disappointed is that I don't get that ___________. Whatever. That, completion. Resolution. I don't get to see the final product. I really wanted to know that I set a goal, designed a plan, worked hard for an extended period of time, survived setbacks, and then reached the goal. I know that I *can* do that... I just don't have a very good record with such things. I live a lot of my life in theory, and I suppose that gets a little old. Now, I can *theoretically* run a marathon just like I can *theoretically* do a lot of things.

I think that's all I have to say about that. I'm going to drink wine and eat chocolate chips straight from the bag for the remainder of the evening. I am going to be happy for all the marathon runners who survived training. And I will volunteer for the race and will yell helpful things to the runners (like, "Watch your step.") and smile supportively and hand them cups of delicious water (I refuse to participate in Gu, however. That stuff is disgusting.).

Over and out. 10-4. Word.

3 comments:

  1. Patresa- I am so, so sorry about your stress fracture. I know what you mean about wanting to say you did it, in addition to knowing that you can do it.

    I will now tell you the same thing my husband has been telling me for weeks, as I lump about the house, miserable and whining because I can not only not run, I can't even *walk* for exercise (thank you, Aircast boot on my right leg): this is a temporary setback. Don't forget the temporary part. You will heal, you will maybe take it a little slower the next time as you work toward the goal, and you will achieve it. You will. And in the meantime, I bet you look incredible in a pair of jeans, sister. xoxoxoxox.

    P.S. I thought I was the only one who drowns her sorrows in wine and chocolate chips straight from the bag. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. My word verification word was "asholo" and it made me giggle. I think I will call the next person who makes me mad an asholo. Just because.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Aircast Boot,

    You are an asholo.

    Sincerely,
    Tawni and Patresa

    HA! Thank you for the commiseration, Tawni. But, man, an aircast boot is way more of a drag! Oh, man, that would be awful. I think I'm getting out pretty lucky. Although I can't run, I can still walk on it without crutches and such. Blah.

    Come on, Bodies! Work with us!

    ReplyDelete