Tuesday, July 27, 2010

This might be as nice as I get.

My character has some unsavory nuggets. I get really annoyed with adults who make stupid decisions [Translation: I am judgmental and want everyone to have the exact same values and sensibilities that I have. When they don't, I think they are morons.]. I hold onto irritations like I'm protecting a big red button to the universe. I would like to let go of these ugly tendencies for the sake of a sparkly soul and improved relationships.

To my favor, I also believe that every problem under the sun has a solution, and I'm pretty sure I can figure out what it is. So yesterday, I devised a strategy to fix my broken junk. Every time I entered my familiar irritation dialogue (Which usually starts with "Gah, jackass.") I would imagine a patient, stoic, teacherly sort saying, "Give that to me, please," as if I were a clumsy child with scissors.

This morning was Day 1 of the new "Be Nice" plan. I spent 85% of the morning hearing, "Give that to me, please.... Give that to me, please... Give that to me, please..." By 2:00, I hated the patient stoic teacher sort, told him to go eff himself, gathered all of my broken junk, held it to my chest, and decided, with some regret, that this might be as nice as I get.

No comments:

Post a Comment